At the end of 1930, the end of its first 50 years of public worship - testing years, albeit rewarding years, for the members who were part of them - Craster Methodist Church celebrated its Jubilee on Saturday and Sunday, December 27 and 28. Many of the participants are still with us.
The chapel had been renovated and redecorated for the great occasion, and on the Saturday afternoon the Rev. J. G. Bowran, of Newcastle, past President of the Connexion, preached the Jubilee sermon to a large congregation which included two of the original trustees - Charles Archbold and John Stanton. After the service, at a public tea held in the adjoining schoolroom, hostesses the chapel ladies, widow Mrs. Elizabeth Simpson, as the oldest chapel member, cut a Jubilee cake adorned with 50 candles, the gift of Richard Young, of Seahouses.
Charles Archbold, presiding at a public meeting in the evening, was supported by his old trustee colleague, John Stanton, in 1930 still the local trust secretary; J. A. Stephenson, trust treasurer; T. S. Grey and R. A. Smailes, the society stewards; Robert Taylor, R. D. Dawson, James Hinson, and Mrs. Simpson. Principal speakers were Mr. Bowran and the Rev. B. W. J. Redhead, minister of the Seahouses Circuit, of which the Craster and Christon Bank churches form part. Mrs. Simpson and local preacher Mr. Hinson, both in reminiscent mood, also spoke ; and the Rev. H. G. Absalom, of Alnwick, brought greetings from Northumberland District Methodists.
Contributing to the musical programme were the Seahouses Singers - Miss Nesbit, Miss A. Tully, Mr. and Mrs. Redhead, and Mr. Cormack; Miss Eva Archbold; and David Trotter, of Durham.
" An extremely interesting and successful evening was brought to a close with the Doxology and the Benediction," the Alnwick County Gazette and Guardian reported.
Next day, Sunday, Mr. Redhead preached at both morning and evening services, when the soloists were Miss Jean Grey and again Miss Archbold.